Stairlifts are made up of intricate machinery and just like most items that have moving parts, electronics and batteries, they do need to be inspected and cleaned from time to time to stay in excellent condition. It is much like the running of an automobile, that needs an annual service to inspect for wear and tear, change the oil, etc. Technologies have improved, so older stairlifts can often benefit from upgraded parts. Stairlifts that are in high use, would also benefit from regular checks to ensure they stay functioning at optimum levels.
A stairlift is a wonderful item to assist with mobility and brings back a sense of independence. Tackling the stairs should not be a daunting task and with a stairlift, it does not have to be. Once a stairlift is installed and it becomes an item that is used regularly because of its convenience and functionality, Versatile Lift Company wants to keep it running at this level, and scheduling regular services by a professional will ensure this. Once you are reliant on your stairlift you will not want to experience challenges with it or encounter a breakdown. You will want to ensure the smooth running of your stairlift so that your life can continue as normal.
Versatile Lift Company has professional engineers and electronic technicians who will see to the smooth running of the stairlift they have installed for you or they can service an existing stairlift which you may have. Having your stairlift chair and its track cleaned as part of your house cleaning routine will also help with reducing the impact of a build-up of dust and dirt on the machinery.
How do I service my stairlift?
As stairlifts are complex items with batteries, sensors, cogs and pulley systems, it’s not recommended to tackle the servicing of your stairlift yourself. At the Versatile Lift Company, our services engineers and electricians can schedule home visits to perform routine maintenance on your stairlift. Typically a service would include the following aspects;
- Removing the carriage from the track to take a look at the inner workings and components
- Assessing that the safety mechanisms are all in working order
- Thorough cleaning of the rollers to eradicate any grime and dust build-up that has developed
- Cleaning of the electrical pickup points
- Lubricating parts
- Assessment of battery condition
- Assessment of motor brushes
- Refitting the carriage to the track and checking functionality and security when in operation
How long should a stairlift last?
If cared for properly and used correctly with adequate maintenance and service plan a stairlift is expected to last for at least 10 years. However, the lifespan can be far greater if regular care and servicing are scheduled for your stairlift. There are things you can do yourself that will increase the longevity of your stairlift;
- Keep your Stairlift plugged in when not in use. Stairlifts actually use very little energy and unplugging often will cause damage to the battery pack. For longer battery life, keep your stairlift plugged in.
- Ensure the stairlift track is kept clear. Although safety sensors will detect an obstruction, it is a good idea to keep your track free of obstacles. Small items can cause damage to the track and get stuck. Give your track a light vacuum or use a duster at least once a week to remove debris and clutter.
- Do not exceed the maximum weight. It can be tempting to use your stairlift to carry items but the maximum weight load must not be exceeded in order to ensure the smooth running of your stairlift for years to come.
- Ensure the track is kept clean. Keeping a clean and lubricated track allows for the efficient running of your stairlift. When the track is disabled you can wipe it with a damp cloth and lubricate. Cleaning solvents, bleaches and abrasive cleaning products should be avoided for use on your stairlift as they can affect the finish of your stairlift.
- Care for your seat. The seat life can be extended by wiping down with a damp cloth at least once a week. Ensure the seat is dry after you have given it a wipe down so that it does not soak up extra moisture.
How often should a stairlift be serviced?
Annual servicing of a Stairlift is recommended. A stairlift that has very high usage is an older model, has a heavier passenger, or is on a very steep incline, may need more frequent inspection. The Versatile Lift company has different payment options and a monthly fee can be paid, which will incorporate an annual service and extras depending on your package. This way you can avoid a lumpsum cost when it comes to servicing and stay on track with your maintenance plan.
Do you need to lubricate a stairlift?
Stairlifts do need lubrication on the track periodically, every 2-3 months. Only a small amount of lubricant needs to be used. This can be done after the track is cleaned and free of dust. It’s important not to get lubricant on the chain itself as this can create slippage. Do not over lube your stairlift so it becomes grimy. The ideal lubricant to be used is one that is silicone-based as this will protect the parts of your stairlift and as opposed to breaking them down. If you struggle with mobility or suffer from finger joint pain it’s best to let the stairlift cleaning and lubrication be done by someone else who can help you with this.
Work With Us
With proper care and maintenance, your stairlift will be functioning perfectly for years to come! Contact us today for your quote.